There is no simpler way to enjoy fresh Tuna than simply searing over a fierce heat to just cook the exterior. This method allows you to coat the Fish with flavours of your choice. One of my favourite coatings is crushed green peppercorns, fresh mint & lemon zest. The flavours work very well together giving the oily fish a perfect balance of citrus, heat and freshness.
Ingredients; (serves 2)
1x8oz centre cut piece of Tuna
Zest & juice of half a lemon
1 Tablespoon finely chopped mint
1 Tablespoon crushed green peppercorns
1 red onion diced finely
1 Tablespoon finely chopped caper berries
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Rocket to serve
- Firstly make the rub for tuna by combining the mint, green peppercorn & lemon zest & mixing.
- Heat a non stick pan until smoking hot, dry sear the tuna for 5 seconds on each side. Remove from heat & roll in the rub.
- Wrap tightly with cling film into a cylinder & refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Make the dressing by combining the onion, capers, lemon juice & olive oil & season generously with sea salt.
- Assemble the salad by slicing the Tuna thinly and arranging neatly on a plate, spoon over dressing & garnish with rocket.