I enjoy experimenting at home with multiple cuisines, this dish certainly has that in mind. Usually when i cook a Daal it means there will also be some freshly baked Naan to accompany it with a dollop of yoghurt & coriander no doubt! However time did not allow for that today so this simple yet tasty dish was put together in around 40 minutes.
There is an argument that Sesame seeds do not belong in this dish but they work so well with the flavour of the ginger & add a well needed texture also. So, i thought i would share this very easy recipe for you to try, the Daal also eats greatly with Roast Lamb or even as a stand alone dish alongside some fluffy Naan bread. Kids will love it!
Ingredients; (Serves 2)
2x7oz Pieces Of Boneless Smoked Cod
220g Red Lentils
1 Medium White Onion, Diced
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, Diced
2 Cloves Garlic, Diced
1 Red Chilli, De-Seeded & Diced
1 Tb Sp Finely Chopped Ginger
150g Baby Spinach, Washed
2 Tb Sp Finely Chopped Coriander
2 Tb Sp Lightly Toasted Sesame Seeds
2 Tb Sp Madras Curry Powder
1 Tea Sp Toasted Cumin Seeds
1 Tea Sp Freshly Grd Nutmeg
1.5 Ltr Chicken or Veg Stock (You May Not Use It All)
2 Tb sp Vegetable Oil
- Firstly pre heat oven to 180C. While the oven is heating place the Cod on a lightly oiled baking sheet, rub the surface of the fish with a little oil & allow to stand at room temperature.
- Heat a wide based pan over a medium heat & add oil, onion, pepper, garlic, ginger, chilli & cook gently for 4-5 mins until softened but not coloured.
- Add madras powder, nutmeg & cumin seeds & continue to cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add lentils & stir until the they have been coated, slowly add enough stock to cover the lentils but not saturate. Cook for 5-10 mins before adding enough stock until they are almost cooked (approx 20-25 mins).
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the Cod & bake for 10-12 mins until firm. In the meantime finish the Daal by adding enough stock to allow the lentils to fall slowly from the back of the spoon, add spinach & coriander and remove from heat continuing to stir.
- Assemble the Daal in a wide bowl & place fish in the middle.