This luxurious flavour packed Omelette was quite the hit! Local Crab from Peter Boston landed that morning, cooked & picked in the afternoon & finished flaked into a spring onion flavoured hollandaise.
Just before serving we folded the Omelette, scattered over lightly pickled new season asparagus & spooned over the rich hollandaise glaze flavoured with spring onions prior to grilling.
Should you not have Crab meat available prawns, lobster or even poached smoked haddock will work greatly here! Simply add a couple of thickly cut pieces of Irish wheaten bread and you have the ultimate summertime lunch to enjoy with a glass of wine.
Recipe (Serves 1)
For the Omelette;
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 tb sp creme fraiche
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tb sp olive oil
- salt & black pepper to season
For the Asparagus;
- 2 asparagus spears, bottoms remove, sliced thinly lengthways
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch of sea salt
For the Spring Onion Hollandaise;
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to season
- 1 spring onion diced finely
- 75g picked white crab meat
- First make the Hollandaise sauce, melt the butter, place in a pouring jug (preferably with a fine pouring spout).
- Add the lemon juice & spring onion to the egg yolk in a metal mixing bowl and whisk over simmering water until a ribbon stage is reached.
- Slowly whisk in the butter a little at a time until the sauce has become rich & coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat & season to taste before adding the crab meat.
- Place the asparagus in a small dish, season lightly & toss with the lemon juice.
- Whisk the egg, add the creme fraiche & season lightly.
- Preheat the grill to highest setting, heat a wide non stick frying pan with the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the butter, allow to foam before adding the omelette mix, cook quickly & give it a quick mix until it is almost cooked, at this stage gently fold the omelette in half.
- Dress the top with the asparagus followed by the crab & spring onion hollandaise.
- Bake under a hot grill until golden & serve.