This middle Eastern classic breakfast dish is perfect anytime of the day,
add seasonal vegetables, sausage, seafood or even lamb to make a healthy no fuss dinner. The trick here is to use the best quality freshest eggs you can find.
You can also play around with the dressings to finish the eggs, sharp & creamy works a treat alongside the spicy tomato base & eggs. Simply serve with toasted pitta or flatbreads!
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
4 free range eggs
1 medium red onion, diced finely
2 large plum tomatoes, cut roughly
3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
1 teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
150g baby spinach, washed
250g good quality tinned chopped tomatoes
2 tb sp chopped coriander
1 tb sp tahini paste
Salt & pepper to season
1 tea spoon caster sugar
3 tb sp extra virgin olive oil
Pomegranate molasses to finish
1. Pre heat oven to 180c.
2. Make the tahini lemon dressing by mixing the tahini, lemon juice
and a little water until a dressing consistency is achieved, season
and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil over a moderate heat before adding the onion and
garlic, allow to fry until softened.
4. Add the cumin & chipotle followed by the chopped tomatoes & allow
to cook for approx 20 mins, taste & adjust seasoning with salt, pepper
5. Add the plum tomatoes before adding the spinach & allow to cook for
2 mins until the spinach has softened.
6. Add the eggs & place in the pre heated oven for approx 10 mins until
the eggs are perfectly baked.
7. Remove from the oven & sprinkle with the coriander, a drizzle of the
tahini dressing and finally a little pomegranate molasses & chipotle